Tile and stone are some of the most timeless, versatile, and durable flooring products that’s been around for centuries. It’s an excellent choice for kitchens and bathrooms due to their moisture resistance and resilient surface. As a tile and stone flooring store in Calgary, we stock a wide variety of sizes, colours, patterns, and finishes to match the aesthetics of your home or business.
Tile and stone flooring can truly transform your space – whether it’s a hint of luxury you’re after, a timeless feel, or a bold look. Keep reading to learn more about the different types of tile and stone flooring available and what to expect with professional tile and stone flooring services in Calgary.
Different types of tile and stone flooring
- Ceramic tile – Ceramic tile is made from a combination of water, sand, and clay that is molded and heated under extreme pressure.
- Porcelain tile – A form of ceramic tile that is made of a much more refined clay and fired at higher temperatures, making them extremely durable. This is one of our most popular flooring products as they are proven to be tough and long-lasting. Porcelain is harder and denser than ceramic.
- Stone tile – Stone tile is available in many different types of natural stone including slate, granite, marble, limestone, travertine, and more. Each stone has naturally occurring properties and no stone is quite the same, giving a look that is unique to your space. Stone tiles can be finished in a number of different ways, including polished, honed, brushed, and more.
What to expect with professional tile and stone installation
Once you’ve decided on your new tile or stone flooring, we recommend scheduling a professional installation as this type of flooring requires special tools, expertise, and knowledge to achieve a beautiful, quality finish. While each installation may have different challenges and considerations, you can expect a professional installer to:
- Walk you through the process, answering any questions or concerns you may have.
- Help you determine the layout, including pattern placement and how tiles should run parallel to windows or the wall.
- Remove and dispose of your existing floors when necessary.
- Level and prep the subfloor.
- Measure door clearances to ensure doors will clear.
- Install the ceramic, porcelain, or stone flooring tiles using best practices.
- Clean the floor and get rid of excess grout once installation is complete.
Tile and stone flooring care & maintenance
We recommend staying off of the floor for up to 48 hours after installation to allow it to cure properly. Ceramic, porcelain, and stone tiles are easy to maintain – simply sweep, vacuum, and mop as needed. Preventative measures such as entryway mats can significantly reduce the amount of dirt and grime build-up on your new floors, which will help keep them looking fresh longer.
Be sure to only use floor cleaning products that are manufacturer-approved and formulated for ceramic, porcelain, or stone tiles. Avoid using acids, vinegar, or products with ammonia as they can discolour the grout and damage the surface of the tile. If you’re unsure of what type of floor cleaning product to use, contact Deerfoot Carpet & Flooring and we can give you our expert recommendations.